Sunday, April 3, 2011

Singapore Aviva 70.3 2011 race report

in truth, this erace was very different from last year's race. For one, I came into this with another race under my belt( the Asia-Pacific 70.3 in Phuket 3 months ago). I had trained and swam further than i did last year coming into the race, my bike has been upgraded to a 1080 set of wheels. i am also in an older age group!

The swim was tough this year, and with the strong currents, we kept being pushed closer towards shore. In the end i think i swam probably 500 metres more! i got out of the water on the first lap and was surprised that i took 30 minutes. the second lap was any better and i finished the swim at 1:03, a PW( even worse than the Phuket race!). KL who was 2 waves behind me came out of the water about the same time as me; but i was comfortable out of the water and in fact felt good, certainly better than last year!

The bike route was a fast course and once on the coastal road, i went aero and was averaging 33 km/hr comfortably; there was a bit of a headwind but nothing that was too tough. I finished the first lap at an average of 30 km/hour and realised the last 3 km leading into transition and out the speeds could not be more than 27 km/hr because it was narrow. i pushed a little harder and got behid kc. this time, we were averaging 35-36 km/h and going faster all the time, no doubt with a tailwind! kc pushed forward and i rode a little more conservatively; and then it happened.. as i reached aviation house, my gaze landed on an athlete on the ground. i hit the vertical grrove on the road which was a rut from the interface between tarmac and cement and went down heavily on my right; i was still in an aero position on the ground. my right shoulder hit the ground at speed and i slid for about 2 meters. i tried to get up and a sharp pain emanated from my shoulder.My first thought was i had probably fractured my clavicle . As i stood up and bore weight, i experienced another sharp stab of pain in my right hip. Skins come off i reckon and visually confirmed it. I was in amazement my zoot ultra shorts was not torn and tattered like my orca when i fell last year. Race is over for me nad i sat there forlorn waiting for the ambulance. after awhile; i felt better and a few shoulder rotations later, i thought i have what it takes to complete the race still. I hopped onto my bike and amidst protests from the well meaning stewards and promply got off the saddle again. the drivechain had been dislodged so i had to get off again and re-fixed it. As i rode on i glanced at my speedo and realised despite that 15 minutes enforced stop, i still averaged 31 km/hr. I rode a little more conservatively on the 3rd loop and because of my injuries all raw and burning averaged about 29km/hr. I got into transition at 2:55 and had some cramps building up on my left leg. I must thank all my fellow athletes who encouraged me during the race! Met CH at transition and i actually took my time to make sure i had my nutrition and all the gear on before i started the run. I got out and was doing a 5:45 pace till the 5 km mark when i developed cramps on my left side. spasms started over my intercostals( a first!) and left leg, no doubt i have paid the price of pushing on the bike leg utilising my left muscles a bit too much. i slowed to a 7/km pace and walked some stretches. My shoulder was killing me and i couldn't move it very much as any of that will send an electric shot into it. i was feeling a bit sick in the stomach and threw up when i downed a gel. that was a truly down in the boots moment. at the 12 km point i was feeling better and trotted a bit and then i saw my two princessess shouting out at  me and carrying a banner that says " Quitting is forever!" how poignant it was. I managed a big grin and the girls ran with me for a little while. they had alos picked up some powergels from the ground that some athletes have dropped. i took it but i couldn't stomach another gel. the last 9 km i picked up my pace again to a 5:30 and finished the race at 6:25. a pb for me and under these circumstance i was happy with my performance and grateful once again that i had great support from my family.

1 comment: